The 1855 Kelly’s Directory describes Yapton :

Yapton, a parish, 5 miles south-west from Arundel, in the Hundred of Avisford, rape of Arundel, Westhampnett Union, West Sussex, containing 1,690 acres, and a population of 609. The church is ancient; square, shingled tower, 4 bells. The living a discharged vicarage, united with that of Walberton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, valued at  £468: it is in the patronage of the Bishop of Chichester, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas S.L.Vogan, M.A.; Rev. George Martin Barrow, curate. The Arundel & Portsmouth canal passes through the parish. Stephen Roe esq., in 1766, endowed a Free school for teaching 20 children to read. Here is a station of the South coast Railway. Belsham is a tithing of Yapton.

Letters received through Arundel at 9 am & dispatched at 5 pm.

Previous page: History
Next page: The Ancient Hamlet of Bilsham