Yapton Workhouse

The workhouse in Yapton — more properly called the poorhouse — was located in buildings which later became known as Rope Cottages. These were next to what became the Black Dog public house. These were used from 1745 to 1818 when a new larger poorhouse was built behind the current one.

The poorhouse building still exists but now much modified and known as Laburnum Cottages.

For a fuller description please see Canada, 1832-37 and 2017 Review

May 2017