Oldest House

The oldest house in Yapton is probably Coachman's Cottage in Church Lane. It was built in the 16th century and was where the Yapton Manor coachman lived. It is a classic Elizabethan timber framed building with a later west wing (lying north-south).

According to the 1851 census there were many families living in the cottage's small rooms. They included: a bargeman employed on the canal; a cordwainer; a carpenter; dressmakers; charwomen; farm boys and labourers.

It was converted into one cottage in 1970.


Above: Coachman's Cottage in 1890



This postcard (c. 1912) shows Coachman's Cottage on the right and Twelfth of Never on the left.

Previous page: Yapton
Next page: The Lodge / Sandakan